Home

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Embarrassment

Several comments have referred to embarrassment, and I’m sensing there is something more to that than the embarrassment that seems quite common in my experience as people recall their own idealizations of what their future lives would be. If you’d be willing, I hope you will talk more about that embarrassment, helping me understand it, maybe helping me feel more properly embarrassed about my own misguided aspirations. I feel mildly embarrassed, for example, when I read a recipe card I wrote for myself in the seventh grade: “Granola,” “From the kitchen of… Mom Crouch.” I envisioned myself as happily married (i.e. having a mother-in-law who would also give me recipes), having and raising children, making a home in all the traditional senses I was raised to believe were the highest goals for a Christian woman to have, even if one found herself married to someone in full-time ministry. These ideals were and still are modeled for me dauntingly by my mother: sewing, cooking, hospitality-oozing, gardening, composting, servant-hearted, minister and Bible college professor’s wife. She is incredibly ordinary by all measurements except those who love her, and has been a widow since 1993. She comes from tough old stoic Norwegian stock of the Lake Wobegon variety, plenty of spiritual weaknesses without a doubt, but no time for naval gazing, as she is too busy responding practically to the needs she is presented with in her community, with hardly a self-conscious thought that that is what she is doing. I shall always wish I was more like her.

None of that has turned out to be my life. Instead I am an artist, far too prone to naval-gazing than is good for me, with a doctoral degree in voice performance. These were not even presented as options in my upbringing. The only really good use for playing the piano, which I was really good at and loved, was being a minister’s wife, an idea I resented deeply and rejected bitterly. For years growing up I found myself resisting the sense of guilt I felt sitting in numerous missions conferences, hearing challenge after challenge to go overseas, to give up everything including talents (I’m still mystified about the logic of that) and serve God somewhere where His name was not known, and knowing I didn’t feel called to do it. I was honest enough to know that if I were to respond to such appeals, it would be for all the wrong reasons, and I became increasingly convinced I should be a musician and a teacher, a calling of which I’m still convinced. I never spoke of these ambitions to anyone, and plenty of people assumed when I went to university to study music (which they felt I already knew plenty about), that having had no luck finding a husband in Bible college, I was dubiously trying my luck farther a field. I found these assumptions deeply offensive, took me some places I deeply regret, and it is not without pain that they have all given up on my matrimonial prospects, which are, strangely enough, not dead in my own mind, but no longer define me. The fact is that I love the people who made these assumptions, and they made valuable contributions to my life which will be rewarded by God I have no doubt, even though their categories and approach to spirituality became increasingly dissatisfactory to me. This conversation couldn’t even happen with many of them. Hence, I’m having it with you.

7 comments:

  1. another thing to investigate: the roles assigned to us by church communities. you WOULD be a fantastic pastor's wife, by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate your comment "I was honest enough to know that if I were to respond to such appeals it would be for all the wrong reasons."
    When it comes to such things, I have really struggled with the (screwed up) mentality that "It's difficult and I don't like it - it must be God's will!" and the converse: "If I like it and it fits with my personality, it must NOT be God's will!" Moreso in the past than recently, but still, what IS that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is the perennial question... but just what is the "call?" I mean, I totally get that there is a "call" to be a child of God, to which all of human creation should respond. But then, there is a "call" to GO, also to which all children of God should respond, but that looks different for everyone. And it just seems wrong to induce guilt over not having left behind your God-given talents to do something just because it is labeled "overseas missionary work."

    I agree with you, Michelle, those commitment calls from the pulpit evoked guilt in the person who was "honest enough" to be the only one in the row to not get up and go to the front, only to renege on it later. And guilt can be a great motivator, but it is certainly not a sustainer. Guilt would not sustain you as an overseas missionary. In fact, it would quickly render you useless... it would cripple you.

    Love is the greatest motivator and sustainer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah! ranae's comment is exactly what i've been journaling about this week, trying to organize my thoughts enough to share here. i have some personal experience with this...i feel at odds with a sibling on this very thing.

    and can i say you all are so articulate in your thoughts? every post is ringing to true. i've almost nodded my head clean off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. true, l.y.! true.

    on "the call" always needing to be uncomfortable: i was sure (in the 7th-10th grade) that god was going to make, er, ask me to marry this rather unsavory kid in my sunday school class. sure of it. like a mission of mercy. one of those "you love me, caron? do you love me enough to marry ____?". the hardest part about those budding thoughts were that they did not remain mere notions, but developed into full blown "oh man, someday i'm gonna have to marry ____..." and carried over into other aspects of life because i didn't know the scriptures well enough to understand the character of god outside of the attributes i'd learned about in choruses on sunday mornings or hopping up & downs on wednesday evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Buechner's thought: "The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." The first time I read that it was like a cool breeze, and made a whole lot more sense to me than ideas like Caron's which plagued me for years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I'm nodding my head clean off too. I would say it was this idea of the call of God being true only if it included incredible sacrifice is a notion with which I have struggled for years (see my upcoming post). The word "reciprocity" has helped me process this. To me it means that what I always believed God wanted from me for himself (sacrifice, obedience, glory) is actually for him in that it is for me--that he only desires it because it is for me. Its deepest value to him is that it is for me (though, especially in the case of glory, there is much to it) It seems basic, but the idea that I can think of myself and my own "deep gladness" because God is thinking of those things too is a fairly recent discovery for me.

    ReplyDelete