Home

Monday, June 7, 2010

Present Tension

My embarrassment is somewhat present tense. By that I mean, well, I’m not completely sure, but I think I mean that it is less linked to how I behaved in my evangelical past, though I feel rather sheepish about that, and more linked to how much dissonance I still feel as a result of decisions I made before my questions about faith became insistent.

I had the same example of womanhood that you describe, Michelle, minus the gardening and cooking--we grew up on frozen pizza and hamburger helper, but the example of self-sacrifice and wife/motherhood as the highest or truest calling for a woman was certainly the same. I made major (permanent?) life decisions, i.e. got married, while I still believed that sacrifice was the highest calling for a Christian, especially a Christian woman. Because I chose to marry someone with whom I didn’t feel a natural connection, I went into marriage with a martyr narrative that went something like this: God sacrificed himself for me, the only way I can prove my devotion is to sacrifice that which is dearest to me; therefore, if I sacrifice my ideal marriage I will find true, godly fulfillment. It was something along the lines of “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it” (Matt. 16:25). So I went into a marriage that had its built-in challenges (as they all do) with a rather burdensome narrative to define it. (I have since then been able to see that what I thought was martyr-like sacrifice was just as likely some unconscious wisdom on my part that realized that a marriage to some one with whom I connected would likely have been chaos while my husband is patient, kind, and dependable--a remarkable partner, really.) So some of my questions about faith began with my marriage. Having been presented with marriage as the climactic experience for a woman, and then finding that it wasn’t and that I still had a whole life of my own to build within marriage, I felt a little unhinged. What could have been a normal process, the loss of the romantic ideal of marriage was, for me, a spiritual crisis. I'm a little embarrassed by that.

I wondered for a long time if I would have been somehow more myself, a truer expression of myself, if I had not married when I did. I have struggled with what my decision to accept the evangelical ideal of womanhood so readily back then says about me. I have wondered if (and here we go back to the unpreparedness to live the day-to-day) my marriage caused me to miss the life I “should” have had. I suppose here it would be helpful to say that I had intended to be a missionary until I started dating my husband. To me missions didn’t feel like the sacrifice of my talents. After spending a spring break and a summer in the Dominican Republic with missions teams during Bible college (I just blushed. I always do when I say, “Bible college.” That bothers me about myself.), I realized that missions appealed (at least my romantic idea of it) to the wanderlusting extravert in me. I know now that my plunging into missions straight out of Bible college would have been a disaster for everyone involved, but I have struggled with the feeling that maybe I picked wrong and God washed his hands of me and I was, thus, condemned to the mundane.

The story of how my questions about faith became insistent and developed is much like yours, Darby. After I got married I started graduate school. After that it’s really a ditto of Darby’s post from poverty of understanding through scorched faith in Christ. The result is a faith that is drastically changed, even in some key doctrinal ways, and is yet eerily similar to the foundations of the faith I started with.

Back to embarrassment: I am embarrassed by how long it has taken me to make peace with my decision to marry (and that some days I still haven’t). I am embarrassed that my struggle has affected another person, my husband, so completely. I am embarrassed every time a friend (most of my friends now are not “believers”—okay, we have to find some way to say that that doesn’t make our stomachs turn, or maybe that's just my stomach) asks me how long we've been married and then the follow up question, how old I was when I got married, and then, when I tell her, asks why I married so young, and I have to think through my whole narrative again and try to explain it. I don't know why I find that so hard to do.

So here’re some questions: Do you experience that embarrassment when you talk about your past and your previous or current faith with people who may not share it? If so, do you think that the embarrassment is because of the impression of evangelicals held by our culture? Is it from my own insecurity or lack of faith? How do you soothe it?

5 comments:

  1. Giggle. Now I'm embarrassed at the verbosity of my first blog post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla thank you for your post. I identified with so many of the struggles you mentioned. I have found myself wondering if I missed God's partner for me because I was too independent and too particular and too idealistic. There is real comfort for me in recognizing God's sovereignty in the face of all my misguided ideals and rebellions, which I'm sure will be with me all my life.
    Your questions about evangelism are interesting too. I like it best if my unbelieving friends drag my faith out of me. If they figure it out without my telling them all the better. Not because I don't want them to know, but because I want them to know they are not my projects. I do relish opportunities to engage with them on the quirks of evangelicalism. It's not something I feel the need to defend, and now that I understand the gospel is actually very different than the evangelicalism I was raised in, it can be a pleasure to talk with them about that if the occasion arises. But I take my cues from them. There are former teachers who would be much disappointed in me, but so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i liked this post--so glad you wrote!

    i think a shift occurred for me in college when i became pals with a group of writers/artists that were interested in one another's journeys. we were interested in knowing each other and walking through life together. that kind of commitment in friendship requires one thing: being open to be open.

    anyhow, the thing that shifted in my brain was that most people on this planet don't see each other as projects (at least the varied group of people i found myself with). being friends with the "project" motive makes you unsafe. (darb, i remember thinking along these lines back in the day, too...thanks for giving it a name!).

    i feel settled in being friends with anyone because i like to know about their journey and i assume that, if we're getting closer as friends, they want to know mine. there are some very crazy twists & turns along the path i've walked and along theirs, as well. i think what's so comforting in companionship is when you can stand together, arm in arm, and consider the vistas of your past, present, and future...without fear or anxiety about what the other person if thinking (judging).

    i've got friends like that and it was risky at the start....but so worth it to be fully vested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my seeing people as projects in the past is the thing that bothers me most about my christianity in relationships. I think the whole idea of proselytizing is somewhat nauseating. It seems rather opposed to love to have ulterior motives in relationships. It is also opposed to love, though, to be inauthentic. If I am a christian, I ought to be able to say so with out fear that I will hurt some one or be hurt. I have a hard time talking about my own journey for fear that whomever I am talking to will feel like a project regardless of my motives--it's hard to break old habits of speaking, i.e. talking rather than testifying. The other reason it is difficult for me to talk about my faith with my friends who hold other beliefs is that, often, I am struggling with bitterness toward my upbringing or fear caused by it. I hate to be too vocal about that and reinforce the bad opinions of those who dislike evangelicals. I also feel like a bit of an outsider since I followed the rules pretty carefully in my teenage years and so my wildest story includes the boy's dorm and a christmas tree--the boys were all asleep. Of course, the main thing is becoming comfortable enough with myself to speak honestly without fear of rejection. I am building a few of those friendships and treasure them.

    ReplyDelete