Home

Friday, June 4, 2010

Loaded Terminology (Embarrassment, Part 2)

prepare to meet thy god
I have lived in this house for ten months, and I finally shook hands with one of my neighbors two weeks ago.  As we talked over the privacy fence, he asked me if I held a Bible study at my house every week.  In fact, yes, I said, every Thursday.  On Thursday evenings, a group of about 10-12 women park on the street and come inside my house... so I can see why a neighbor might notice.  But what made him think it was a Bible study?  He was quick to tell me that he was a born again believer and then proceeded to tell me where he and his wife attend church.  I felt a mixture of gladness at having such neighbors, but also an inward discomfort.

I cringed at that label: born again.  Our conversation was ended shortly thereafter and I went back to digging up my front yard.  I tried to self-analyze.  I have always had a similar reaction to such labels and the reason why is because, to the outside (those not in the Church), those terms and other terms like them are loaded.  Often effused with hate or thrown around so much that they are easily misconstrued... I mean, what are we trying to convey to others here?

I always feel like I have to back-pedal and explain all the nuances of terms to my friends who are not well-versed in evangelical culture wars.  And then I never actually feel like I have gained any more ground than when I started.  Carla, I agree with you, I shrink away from "tired church language," too, because it is loaded.  It is ripped out of context and dispersed in people's minds in ugly scenes on the evening news.  The terms are politicized to the point that they have completely different meanings than originally intended.

So in an effort to remind ourselves of the original intent, here is the term in context.

He [Nicodemus] came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God.  For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him.


In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."


"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked.  "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"


Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no on can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and Spirit.  Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit..."

John 3:2-6

1 comment:

  1. when you write about the term "born again" being loaded, i immediately thought of terri gross, host of "fresh aire." she often uses that term to describe a certain kind of extra-obnoxious christian. thanks for getting us back to the context, andie. that passage scripture is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete